The following policies applies to all Happy Dog Institute clients, including group classes, seminars and private training.
We love our clients. These policies were put into place so that we can offer all of our beloved clients the best possible service and attention they deserve. Please read them carefully so there are no surprises! Thank you!
Public Class & Seminar Policies
- Pandemic Protocol & Procedures: In order to practice the best possible social distancing procedures, and to keep our clients and our instructors safe and healthy, we have implemented the following procedures that will be in place until further notice:
- As of September 2022, wearing a mask at our facility is optional.
- Only two handlers may come to class until further notice, per dog.
- Please consider your safety and the safety of others. If you are in a high-risk occupation or are high-risk yourself, please do not attend in-person classes or sessions. We are happy to help you in another way! Just reach out to us.
- If you become exposed to COVID or are experiencing symptoms of illness, please self-quarantine and discontinue coming to class. Please also let us know so we can take appropriate steps. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
- Payment Policy: In order to keep our classes and seminars small, payment is to be made in full upon registering for class in order to secure a spot. If payment is not made, you will be placed on the waiting list until we receive it. Checks, credit card payments over the phone or in person and, cash are welcome. Checks can be made payable to Happy Dog Institute.
- Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy: Also in order to keep our classes small, Happy Dog Institute is unable to offer refunds or makeup classes, so please plan carefully when scheduling. Missed classes can be made up on a private basis for our regular private session fee.
- Open Enrollment Class Specifics: If you are attending an “open enrollment” class, please be aware that we are saving a spot in class just for you and your dog. Once you have registered, paid and picked a start date, your spot is secured in class for six consecutive weeks. If you miss a class, it will still count towards one of your sessions. This is so that we can ensure small class sizes for all of our clients.
- Inclement Weather Policy:
Winter: when the roads are snowy, icy, or otherwise unsafe, we will cancel classes. Our instructors come from all over the place and often from rural areas, and often cannot safely make it to class in these situations.
Summer: when it’s in the 90’s and higher, dogs are prone to heat exhaustion and the facility (as well as the pavement) is too hot to hold class. If the temperature is forecasted to be in the low 90s, we will relocate class to a local park. If it’s over 95 degrees, we will cancel and arrange a makeup date.
In either inclement weather scenario, if we cancel or relocate class, we will do so via email and arrange a makeup date. Please diligently check your email during inclement weather before coming to class.
- Transferring Credit: In certain extenuating circumstances, we can transfer your class fee to another class IF you have made arrangements at TWO WEEKS before the start date of the upcoming class you are already registered for. Class credit is not transferrable to private training once this time period has lapsed, or once class has started. Credit must be used within ONE (1) YEAR of original payment date. Prepaid private sessions ARE transferrable and can be applied to a class, but once this is done, the above policies are immediately effective.
- Minors: HDI understands that children can make very good trainers and encourages children to participate in the safe and supervised training of their dogs. HDI requires minor trainers to be of a minimum age of 6 or that minors under the age of 15 be accompanied by an adult. Client understands the inherent risks mentioned in Paragraph 3 and that these risks apply to minors as well. By initialing below, Client waives any and all claims on behalf of their children and agrees to hold harmless HDI and its representatives and agents from any loss, liability, damage, or cost, including bodily injury or death to any minor arising out of or related to any event(s) while under the direction of HDI’s services, except to the extent that such damages are proximately caused by the negligent or intentional acts or omissions of HDI. Minors are not permitted to attend our Stranger Fear or Reactive Rover classes for safety reasons.
By registering for class online, in person or via phone, you are agreeing to these policies.
Private Training & Behavior Modification & Seminar Policies
- Pricing: Please click here click here for current pricing.
- Payment Policy: Payment is to be made in full in order to schedule the initial consultation. Additional sessions must be prepaid, and this is often done in the form of a training package. Once payment is made, your slot is secured in our schedule and our cancelation policy (see #3 below) becomes immediately effective. Checks, credit card payments over the phone, online via secure invoice or in person and cash are welcome. Checks can be made payable to Happy Dog Institute.
- Cancellation/Rescheduling Policy: When you book and pay for a session, we are saving a session slot just for you. Therefore, all appointments must be cancelled with 48-hour notice. Missed appointments, or those canceled with less than 48-hour notice will be charged a full consultation or session fee, depending on the session type missed. If you cancel with at least 48-hour notice, we are happy to rebook your session. This policy also applies to phone or remote appointments. Prepaid private session credits expire one year from purchase date.
- Inclement Weather Policy: HDI trains rain or shine, but we want your sessions to be as productive as possible. If we are concerned about productivity or other issues due to weather, we may reschedule or postpone your session, at our option. If this happens, it will likely be less than 48 hours in advance and we will, of course, keep your missed session on the books.
- Transferring Credit: Prepaid private sessions ARE transferrable to a class, should we decide your dog is ready for one. Once we make this transition, a new contract for Group Classes will be issued. Please note that once this change is made, your credit is not transferrable back to private training.
- Minors: HDI understands that children can make very good trainers and encourages children to participate in the safe and supervised training of their dogs. HDI requires minor trainers to be of a minimum age of 6 or that minors under the age of 15 be accompanied by an adult.Client understands the inherent risks mentioned in Paragraph 3 and that these risks apply to minors as well. By initialing below, Client waives any and all claims on behalf of their children and agrees to hold harmless HDI and its representatives and agents from any loss, liability, damage, or cost, including bodily injury or death to any minor arising out of or related to any event(s) while under the direction of HDI’s services, except to the extent that such damages are proximately caused by the negligent or intentional acts or omissions of HDI.
- Pictures, Video, and Media: Oftentimes, HDI takes pictures and videos of people having a blast during training sessions. HDI likes to share these photos and videos via social media and our website if we get some really great ones. By choosing to work with HDI, client agrees to let HDI share photos and videos of Client, Client’s family, and the puppy via these mediums, unless Client tells us otherwise in writing. Thanks!
We do not offer refunds on webinars. You can view information on system requirements and what attending a webinar entails by clicking here. Most of our webinars are pre-recorded and can be viewed in your browser via the link we send you after you’ve signed up.
Product & Gear Purchase Policies
We work hard to provide a select few products to our customers that we love. This means we have products customized and shipped from all over the US, and we travel to warehouses to maintain stock. We hand-select products that our clients have been using for almost a decade now, and that we use with our own dogs. Gear, such as t-shirts and sweatshirts, are specialized ordered and customized just for you. Please be sure that you have selected the correct sizing, color, etc. before placing your order.
For these reasons, all product sales are final. If an item is defective for any reason, we will of course work with you to remedy the issue with the manufacturer. Thank you!